Last week in the middle of the night I woke up to Ali making noises. I looked at the monitor and she was face down...IN her swaddle. She did that 3 different times. Scared me quite a bit so I took that as my cue that we need to start breaking her of the swaddle...something I had been dreading for a looooong time. She sleeps so good swaddled, or so I thought.
It was perfect timing because this past weekend was a 3 day weekend, which I totally thought we were going to need with all of the sleepless nights we were about to have. I could not have been more wrong, and I SHOULD have known better. Ali is such an adaptable baby and we are SO lucky.
For her first nap on Saturday morning, I wrapped her up with 1 arm out. I thought, "this is going to be a bad nap." She pulled out her paci and talked for a few minutes, then whined for her paci. I went in and gave it to her and she slept like a champ.
I jumped ahead of myself a little bit for the next nap. I went ahead and tried both arms out. She did the same thing as before but then rolled over and was on her belly. Since she had her arms out she wasn't face down, so I went and gave her the paci, and she fell asleep...on her tummy. She napped for maybe 30 minutes but when she woke up she was done. She normally goes back to sleep and makes it a long nap but being on her tummy made her mad. So the next nap I went back to just one arm and she did great again.
Then came bedtime. I was nervous but, per usual, she was perfect. She still woke up once or twice, but she did that even when she was totally swaddled, so I considered it a success. Every nap and bedtime after that, she did great.
We started using the positioner again just to make her still feel snug and tight. And "Lamby" is there to snuggle with and be a little barrier from her getting to her paci. She does like to turn on her side and throw her arm over her head and every time she does I make sure her face isn't too close to being face down.
Last night, I only got up ONCE at 4:45 to give her the paci. She did awesome!
Next step...both arms out! When? To be determined!

No comments:
Post a Comment